‘Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world.’ – UN
TME’s original mission focused on equipping girls with information they protect themselves and their families from disease. Our lessons on VAWG and FGM focus specifically on advancing girls’ rights, and all of our lessons encourage girls to pursue all opportunities and for boys to support them. Below are a number of our DVDs which relate directly to ensuring that girls and boys, men and women, are getting access to the same opportunities.
Click on the DVD images to see the languages available.
When To Have A Baby
- Teaches women how to reduce the risks involved in pregnancy and childbirth to ensure the mother and baby are both healthy.
- Although there will always be exceptions, the lesson advises women against having children before the age of 18 or after the age of 35.
- Teaches the dangers of having more than four children and that they should wait at least two years between pregnancies to allow the body to fully recover.
- Encourages them to go to their health clinic to get advice on family planning.
- The DVD is part of a series of lessons on Mother and Baby healthcare.
Safer Sex For Teenagers
- Teaches teenagers the importance of safe sex and how it can reduce the risk of HIV and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Teaches the importance of using contraception to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Teaches that not having sex is the best way to avoid sexually transmitted diseases.
- Suggests that rather than having sex, teenagers can talk and kiss each other; sex is not the only way to be close with their partner.
- If a person does decide to have sex, the DVD teaches them to think it through carefully and ensure it is with someone they know and trust.
- Briefly discusses oral and anal sex at the end of the lesson. This is to address those in same sex relationships and because anal sex is particularly dangerous in terms of the risk of spreading sexually transmitted diseases.
- The DVD is part of a series of lessons on Sex Education.
- Raises awareness of human trafficking and teaches the viewer how to protect themselves against it.
- Teaches how traffickers acquire their victims often through false advertisements or by kidnapping or bribery.
- Teaches the viewer to be wary of anyone who offers them a new life.
- Teaches people how to protect themselves by asking questions and staying alert and gaining as much information as possible.
- Where possible a helpline number is given at the end of the lesson, so that victims in some areas have a point of contact if they have concerns about human trafficking.
- The DVD is part of a series of lessons on Safe Living.